At the January 2017 meeting of the ASTM International Committee D35 on Geosynthetics in Norfolk, Va., the executive subcommittee approved the formation of a new subcommittee D35.06 on Geosynthetic Specifications with L. David Suits as chair.
The scope of D35.06 is to implement the scope of Committee D35 with a focus on the development of geosynthetic specifications.
Suits organized a workshop introducing the new subcommittee for the June 2017 meeting in Toronto. The emphasis of the workshop was on areas where there was a potential need for geosynthetic specifications. Five presenters discussed various geosynthetic applications:
- “International Experience On Specifying Geogrids,” presented by Chris Quirk from NAUE GmbH
- “Overview of Geomembrane Specifications,” presented by Gary Kolbasuk from Raven Industries
- “Waterproofing Geomembrane Durability and Service Life for Below-Grade Waterproofing,” presented by Ramon Salah from Sika
- “Knitted Socks,” presented by Paul Mutter from Zodiac Fabrics
- “Geocell Strength and Stiffness,” presented by Eyal Blatmen from PRS Geo-Technologies
Following the workshop, the first official meeting of the subcommittee was held. At the time of the meeting, there were 36 members of the subcommittee. As of the writing of this article (August 2017), there are 46.
Actions taken at the meeting included the following:
- The subcommittee passed a motion to approve the scope.
- The subcommittee formed three task groups to begin work on the following new specifications:
a. Geogrid specification, chaired by Chris Quirk
b. Waterproofing geomembrane, chaired by
c. Geosynthetic drainage material, chaired by
3. The subcommittee approved a recommendation to move the existing D35 geosynthetic specifications from their respective subcommittees to the new subcommittee. They include the following:
D7465: Standard Specification for Ethylene Propylene Diene Terpolymer (EPDM) Sheet Used in Geomembrane Applications
D7613: Standard Specification for Flexible Polypropylene Reinforced (fPP-R) and Nonreinforced
D7176: Standard Specification for Non-Reinforced Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) Geomembranes Used in Buried Applications
D7408: Standard Specification for Non-Reinforced PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride) Geomembrane Seams
D2643: Standard Specification for Prefabricated Bituminous Geomembrane Used as Canal and Ditch Liner (Exposed Type)
D6707: Standard Specification for Circular-
Knit Geotextile for Use in Subsurface Drainage Applications
D7001: Standard Specification for Geocomposites for Pavement Edge Drains and Other High-
D7008: Standard Specification for Geosynthetic Alternate Daily Covers
D7239: Standard Specification for Hybrid Geosynthetic Paving Mat for Highway Applications
D6817: Standard Specification for Rigid Cellular Polystyrene Geofoam
D6826: Standard Specification for Sprayed Slurries, Foams and Indigenous Materials Used as Alternative Daily Cover for Municipal Solid Waste Landfills
4. The subcommittee decided to define the word “applications” as it applies to geosynthetics.
At the August meeting of the AASHTO Subcommittee on Materials in Phoenix, Ariz., the subcommittee identified drainage behind walls as an issue. It deemed development of a guide specification from D35 appropriate.
The next meeting of subcommittee D35.06 will be held in January 2018 in New Orleans, La. Contact L. David Suits at (518) 869-2917 or firstname.lastname@example.org with questions about the subcommittee and its work.