The Geosynthetic Institute (GSI) will sponsor a webinar, “Quality Control/Quality Assurance (QA/QC) of Waste Containment Systems,” on November 4, from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. EST. Geosynthetic Materials Association (GMA) member companies and their employees receive discounted rates on all GSI webinar and short course registrations.
This presentation focuses on geosynthetics used in containment systems. It illustrates the importance of good field QA for landfill liners and covers as well as surface impoundments. It focuses on installation and construction issues, including discussions on testing, shipping and handling, seaming, and establishing a rationale for standardization of field inspection documentation as it relates to the construction quality assurance (CQA) plan.
The course provides the latest information on manufacturing of all types of geosynthetics. It follows closely the U.S. EPA Technical Guidance Document (EPA/600R-93/18) with the same title as the course. Included are numerous field case histories from which to learn and gain valuable lessons about nuances of the containment industry.
Participants of this webinar will be exposed to the latest information on QA/QC in both construction and installation issues found in waste containment facilities. The webinar will also provide participants with lessons learned from several case histories.
- Understand the crucial role that QA/QC plays in waste containment.
- Gives technical guidance for landfill liners and covers.
- Installation and construction issues will be brought up and discussed.
- Learn why standardization of field documentation is so important.
- Understand and learn from case histories.
- Field CQA and CQC personnel for both materials and installation practices
- Consulting engineers and designers
- Geosynthetic and soils testing laboratory personnel
- Owners and operators of solid and liquid waste facilities as well as many other public facilities
- Federal, state and local regulators in both environmental and transportation sectors of their respective mandates
Specific topics covered
- Overview of Landfill Waste
- QC of Geosynthetic Manufacturing
- QA of Shipping, Handling, Installation and Construction
- Assessment of Landfill performance through Case Histories
- Documents and Paperwork
- Summary and Conclusion
George R. Koerner, Ph.D., P.E., and CQQ is the director of the Geosynthetic Institute. He is in charge of laboratory accreditation, field certification and continuing education at the institute. He also manages several research projects and has published more than 350 technical papers in his 35-year association with polymers used in below-ground construction. Koerner’s Ph.D. is from Drexel University in geotechnical engineering. He is a registered professional engineer and a certified quality auditor. Koerner has received many awards over the years. The most notable being IFAI’s Environmental Technologies Award of Excellence 1995, ASCE’s DVGI Geotechnical Engineer of the year in 2004, the title of ASTM Fellow in 2013 and GMA’s first Robert M. Koerner Lecture and Award in 2017.
Webinars cost $200.00 for GSI and GMA members, and $250.00 for nonmembers. Successful completion of a multiple-choice test after the webinar carries 1.5 professional development hours (PDH). For more information or to register, visit http://www.geosynthetic-institute.org/webinar.htm.