The top geotechnical industry organizations are co-organizing the conference and trade show for Geotechnical Frontiers 2017
The Industrial Fabrics Association International (IFAI) and Geo-Institute of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) announced in a June 26 press release that the Geotechnical Frontiers 2017 conference and trade show will be held March 12–15, 2017, at the Hyatt Regency Orlando in Orlando, Fla.
The press release noted that this is the third edition of the co-organized event combining the annual ASCE GeoCongress and the biennial IFAI Geosynthetics conferences. This event was previously known as GeoFrontiers (Austin, Texas, 2005, and Dallas, 2011).
The release said that the Geotechnical Frontiers 2017 theme is “Innovation and Collaboration in Technology and Practice” and attendees will see an array of new developments in geotechnical engineering and technologies. The conference spans four days of technical programming, including short courses, training lectures, workshops, panel discussions, technical paper sessions, plenary lectures, and receptions.
Garrett Dutson, P.E., EnergySolutions LLC, offered his take on the value of attending and participating in Geotechnical Frontiers: “My experience as a first-time technical paper presenter at the GeoFrontiers 2011 conference was very rewarding and a highlight of my professional life. The conference provides first-class experience and education and the venues are conducive to learning, sharing ideas, and networking. These opportunities to meet and learn from global geotechnical leaders have benefited my company and should benefit the public we serve for generations.”
The Geotechnical Frontiers 2017 conference advisory committee includes:
- Elizabeth Dwyre, P.E., DGE, M.ASCE, Parsons Brinckerhoff, technical program committee co-chair.
- Jorge Zornberg, Ph.D., P.E., University of Texas at Austin, technical program committee co-chair.
- Thomas L. Brandon, Ph.D., P.E., Virginia Tech, technical program committee co-chair.
- Richard Valentine, P.E., Valentine Engineering Associates Inc., technical program committee co-chair.
- Jie Han, Ph.D., P.E., University of Kansas, conference advisor.
- Robert Mackey, P.E., S2LInc., conference advisor.
- Jennifer McKay, TenCate Geosynthetics, exhibits chair.
- David Suits, NAGS, short courses chair.
- Aaron Budge, P.E., Minnesota State-Mankato, student activities chair.
- Robert Schweinfurth, director, ASCE Geo-Institute.
- Barbara Connett, IFAI. secretary-general.
Exhibiting and sponsorship opportunities will be available starting in the summer of 2015 to companies that market geotechnical products, applications, and services. More information can be found on the event website or by contacting Steve Schiffman at IFAI.
Geotechnical Frontiers 2017 is co-organized by the Industrial Fabrics Association International’s Geosynthetic Materials Association (GMA) and the American Society of Civil Engineer’s Geo-Institute (G-I) and is supported by the North American Geosynthetics Society (NAGS) under the auspices of the International Geosynthetics Society (IGS).
Online registration will begin in autumn 2016. For more information: geotechnicalfrontiers.org.
Submissions for technical sessions, short courses, and panel discussions open in October, 2015; abstract submissions open in December, 2015.
Questions? Contact Barbara Connett, IFAI, Geotechnical Frontiers secretary-general.