This page was printed from

Plastic connections

Q&A: GMA Techline | February 1, 2013 | By:

RE: Reinforced geomembrane seams
When we last spoke, I mentioned we were looking for a plastic connectlon to insert into concrete blocks. Currently, we use galvanized steel, but where sulphates are an issue we cannot do this. Can you recommend anything?

(Chris | UK)

Reply: First of all, the photo shows a nice looking wall and congratulations in this regard. Now to your question and some options:

1. Fiberglass has been used for pins into the block system and could be made into rods but they are stiff and expensive.

2. Nylon has been used in the same way and it is somewhat more flexible but still is expensive.

3. High-density polyethylene (HDPE) rods can be made circular in cross section or tapered on one side or the other (aka, a bodkin). These, of course, have been used the most and we have never heard of problems in this regard. HDPE is both flexible enough for snaking through inserts as well as the geogrid and is inexpensive as well.

Bob Koerner | GMA Techline

Share this Story

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comments are moderated and will show up after being approved.