By Bob Koerner & George R. Koerner
As in the past, GSI has been awarding graduate fellowships for students performing geosynthetics research. It is a worldwide program and one in which the awards are based on student proposals. (There were nine new proposals this year.) These proposals were then reviewed by the GSI Board of Directors consisting of the following members along with Bob and George Koerner.
- Boyd Ramsey, GSE Lining Technology
- Dave Jaros, Army Corps of Engineers
- Dick Stulgis, Geocomp Corp.
- Gary Kolbasuk, Raven Industries
- Kent von Maubeuge, NAUE Group
- Rex Bobsein, Chevron Phillips
- Sam Allen, TRI Environmental Inc.
- Tony Eith, Waste Management Inc.
- Wayne Hsieh, NPUST–GSI Taiwan
The currently established criteria are:
- Students must be working on a geosynthetics topic that furthers the technology in a proactive manner.
- Students must have completed their candidacy requirements leading to a doctoral degree. (Comment: We hope that some of them will “go academic” and teach and/or research geosynthetics in the future.)
- Students must be recommended by their advisor or department head.
- The fellowships can be renewed for total of three years depending upon acceptable annual reports.
The following table identifies the successful recipients, their university, advisor and topic. We congratulate the students and wish them success in their endeavors.