The Geosynthetic Institute (GSI) hosts its 24th annual conference in Dallas March 16, 2011. GRI-24 is part of the four-day Geo-Frontiers 2011, which is organized by ASCE’s Geo-Institute, the North American Geosynthetics Society (NAGS), the Industrial Fabrics Association International (IFAI), and the Geosynthetic Materials Association (GMA).
The title of the GRI-24 conference is “Enhancing Sustainability Using Geosynthetics.”
GRI’s call recommends that papers are geosynthetics-related, but that the topic should revolve around some aspects of sustainability. This conference is a bit different in that it encompasses all types of geosynthetics and all types of applications, each viewed from the context of sustainability. In so doing, many papers contrast traditional solutions to geosynthetic solutions from both cost and carbon-footprint perspectives.
The papers and their presentations are divided into three categories with following preliminary topics:
Session 1 – Transportation and Geotechnical Applications
- gravity walls vs. MSE walls
- aggregate vs. geosynthetic pavement sections
- asphalt vs. geosynthetic pavement overlays
- traditional vs. plastic pipe comparisons
Session 2 – Environmental and Hydraulic
- reducing landfill footprints
- landfill berms for increased airspace
- waterproofing dams and other hydraulic structures
- geofoam gravel drainage vs. natural aggregates
- solar panels on exposed landfill covers
- the “perpetual” landfill
Session 3 – Private Development and Miscellaneous
- geosynthetic-related green roofs
- contrasting various sedimentation/retention systems
- geosynthetic vs. natural soil installation contrasts
- Pacific region perspectives on sustainability
- principles in the calculation of CO2 emissions
- ISO Standards vis-à-vis sustainability
Interested parties should submit a title and brief abstract to GRI by May 31, 2010.
Robert M. Koerner, Ph.D., P.E.
George R. Koerner, Ph.D., P.E.
CQA Director, Director Designate
For more information: www.geosynthetic-institute.org
Source: Geosynthetic Institute