By Andrew Aho
A pre-show program titled “How to design green roofs and landscapes” will be held Tuesday, Sept. 22, 5:30–8:30 p.m., at the San Diego Marriott Hotel & Marina, in conjunction with the 2009 IFAI Expo at the San Diego Convention Center Sept. 23–25.
This workshop is free to licensed architects (see details below). It will provide insightful information on the use of geosynthetic and textile materials that promote the design of sustainable, energy efficient environments and buildings. The workshop is organized by the Industrial Fabrics Association International (IFAI) and the Geosynthetic Materials Association (GMA).
IFAI members, please note that an additional registration fee applies for this workshop, as it is not included in a Full Business Package to IFAI Expo-’09. (See costs below.)
Benefits of attending this course
- 2.0 continuing education hours (CEHs)
- Networking reception on Sept. 22
- Free admission to the IFAI Expo Trade Show Sept. 23–25
- Learn how geosynthetic materials are producing sustainable, energy efficient environments
- Examine on-site geosynthetic materials and learn about their performance characteristics
- Learn the steps to a successful landscape project with geosynthetic materials
- Get new ideas for designing landscapes, green roofs, and related building structures
- Collect resources and contacts to get started on projects using geosynthetic materials
- Enjoy a networking reception and meet geosynthetics experts
- Receive a free subscription to Fabric Architecture and Geosythetics magazines
Costs and Continuing Education Hours
This workshop is not included in the Full Business Package to IFAI Expo. Costs: Before Sept. 12—$99 for IFAI members, $149 nonmembers; after Sept. 11—$129 members, $179 nonmembers. Students receive a 70% discount; college and government employees get a 40% discount.
The program offers 2.0 CEHs at the conclusion of the program. Architects must register by contacting Barbara Connett, email@example.com or +1 651 225 6914 with RSVP, contact information, and state license number.
6–6:30 p.m.: Keynote speaker Glen Schmidt, FASLA, Schmidt Design Group, “Creative Solutions for Sustainable Environments”
6:30–7 p.m.: Mechanics and Construction of Geosynthetic Technology, Bruce Dvorak, ASLA, Department of Landscape Architecture & Urban Planning, Texas A&M University
7–7:20 p.m.: Examples of Green Roofs and Landscapes using Geosynthetic Technology, Allan Wingfield, AIA, product manager, Colbond Inc.
7:20–7:50 p.m.: Practical Steps for Designing and Installing Green Roofs and Landscapes, Angie Derman, Tecta America
7:50–8 p.m.: Workshop Summary, Boyd Ramsey, GSE Lining Technology Inc.